A luxurious mani-pedi is a fab treat and an excellent way to relax and indulge in a little “me time.” But sometimes we don’t have the time or the energy (or the budget!) to get to a salon. Fret not babes! Chances are, hidden in your makeup bag are all the supplies you need to give yourself a world-class mani-pedi in the comfort of your own home. Read on for the Bless guide to nailing a perfect mani-pedi and keep your fingers and toes in tip-top shape!
The Bless Box Guide To a Perfect At-Home Manicure
- Remove any old nail polish using a non-acetone polish remover.
- Soak your fingers in a bowl of warm water to prep your cuticles. Use an exfoliating scrub on your fingers and hands – I’m obsazzed with the Hand in Hand Sugar Scrub (featured in our Spring Bonus Bless Box). It’s made with extra fine sugar, organic coconut oil, and shea butter to gently exfoliate and leave your skin super soft. Use it from head to toe in the shower, or on your hands and feet during your at-home mani-pedi. The best part? For each sugar scrub purchased, Hand in Hand donates one bar of soap and a month’s worth of clean water to a child in need.
- Now that your cuticles are soft, use a cuticle pusher to gently push down the cuticles. My go-to is the 2-in-1 cuticle pusher and nipper from Deep Sea Cosmetics (featured in our April 2018 Bless Box).
- You can’t have a proper mani and pedi without a good set of tools. And this mini nail kit from NCLA Beauty (as seen in the July 2018 Bless Box) is both adorable and functional. It contains all the tools you need to sort out your nails at home or on the go! Use the included clippers to trim your nails to the desired length using nail clippers. Next, use the fine-grain metal file to file your nails so they’re all smooth and even. When filing, be sure to file from the side to the center. (This is important because filing the wrong way can weaken your nails and even cause them to split! Yikes!)
- Now that your nails are trimmed, shaped and prepped, you’re ready to paint! Be sure to wipe your nails of any oil or lotion residue to prepare them for painting.
- Apply a base coat, like NCLA’s First Base. A good base coat will make your manicure last longer and help condition and nourish your nails!
- One your base coat is dry, apply your favorite nail polish in a thin, even layer. Let each color coat dry between applications. If you made any mistakes, simply dab a Q-tip or a skinny makeup brush in your nail polish remover and carefully clean up your mistake!
- Once your color coats are dry, apply a top coat to add shine and seal in your mani. Our pick? The Gelous? Top Coat from NCLA. Let ’em dry.
- Finally, apply some cuticle oil to nourish and keep your cuticles healthy. I’m an absolute sucker for a great 2-in-1 product and I love the Nourishing Cuticle Oil from Deep Sea Cosmetics (featured in our April 2018 Bless Box). Precious Dead Sea minerals and sweet almond oil conditions and moisturizes the cuticles, preventing dryness and cracking.
- If you want to keep your hands in tip-top shape, you’ll love Murumuru Butter and Rose Delicious Glow Hand Lotion (featured in our December 2018 Bless Box). With organic Murumuru Butter, it deeply moisturizes and softens the skin. The scent is a deep and warm Rose with a hint of Red Berries.
For my manis, I love muted, neutral colors. Some of my recent favorites include Berry Much in Love by ella + mila (as seen in the February 2018 Bless Box). It’s the prettiest shade of berry, formulated without any harsh chemicals. Another neutral that flatters any skin tone? The vegan and 7-free muted lilac color We Are Off to Never Never Land by NCLA (featured in our May 2018 Bless Box) by NCLA. Last but definitely not least, you can never (EVER) go wrong with Essie. Their Treat, Love, and Color Nail Care (as seen in the October 2017 Bless Box) actually heals and protects your nails. The best part? Essie has about 101 gorgeous colors to choose from!
The Bless Box Guide to a Perfect At-Home Pedicure
- Fill a basin with warm water and add your favorite foot or bath soak. (We like the Eucalyptus & Peppermint Hydrating Bath Soak from The Seaweed Bath Co. featured in our Summer Bonus Box).
- If your feet need a little TLC, try the Pedi-Buffer by Songellé (featured in our Spring 2018 Bonus Bless Box). This baby will leave your feet feeling baby soft and silky to the touch. Use the soft side of the scrubber to cleanse the skin and the rougher side to exfoliate and stimulate circulation. My two favorite scents are Beach Grass and Mandarin Mint!
- Once your feet are baby-soft, gently push back the cuticles with a cuticle pusher.
- Next, trim your nails to the desired length. Avoid cutting them too short to prevent ingrown toenails.
- File your toenails until they’re all smooth and even.
- Before you apply nail polish, make sure your toes are free from any oil or lotion residue. To make your job easier and to avoid smudging, use a foam toe separator.
- Apply a base coat, and let it dry completely before following up with a thin layer of nail polish. Once the polish is dry, finish off with a high gloss top coat.
- Last but not least, apply some cuticle oil to keep your cuticles healthy and moisturized!
For my pedis, I prefer a pop of color. A recent favorite is JINSoon in Farouche (featured in the Summer 2018 Bonus Box). The color is a deep magenta, inspired by Fauvist paintings. It dries fast, is totally chip proof, and all the formulas are 5-free and formulated without harsh chemicals.
You might also like:
- The Perfect Post-V Day Pink Lip (In Every Shade!)
- The Bless Box Top 22 | The Ultimate Bless Round-Up
- The Bless Box Guide To False Lashes